Sunday, May 5, 2013

Mystic City

Well let me start off with saying I loved this. It didn't feel like it was written by a guy for most of the book which is kind of cool. I found Aria pretty believable if not predictable. 

There were some things that did bother me. Her constant need to be saved and how naive she was. I know, I know. It is the norm but WHY? She did step up her game the last 1/4 of the book so that was neat. The other thing that bothered me was why are the villains so predictable all the time? I was only slightly surprised by one of the characters but the rest were so obvious.

Let's talk about the romance. It was pretty awesome. I won't lie, I enjoyed the Romeo and Juliet thing that was going on. This was fluffy and sort of exactly what I needed for a Sunday afternoon spent reading in bed.

I was a little miffed when I got to the end of the book and it says Renegade Heart Summer 2013. Yet the internet seems to be telling me this is not the case, try April of 2014! I am a little tired of series but this was really addicting! I didn't want to stop reading until I had finished this.

Even though this is kind of a dystopian book it is way more urban fantasy/science fiction so I wouldn't really compare it much to the Hunger Games. I think publishers are really trying to push that series way too much on other books of the genre when they only think they have in common is they are both considered dystopian.

I am also started to get annoyed with the main characters falling in love right away. You think he is hot? Awesome, he is. You love him? Not yet. I get where the author was going with it and the memories being erased and the insta feelings but c'mon. C'mon. Thankfully there wasn't really a love triangle. There was a sort of love triangle but it makes sense versus her debating the whole book of "I love him!" "But I can't hurt him!" "Oh but I really like both of them!" Blech. I am so over that.

Can we also just take a moment to look at that cover? I loved it. I like the font and the pretty background and the blues and the silvers mixing together. So lovely.

Ok so to wrap this up I will just say I am quite excited to read the next book. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint. The jury is out on that one since most series have been a bit of a let down lately. :)

No comments :

Post a Comment