Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Silenced

I do love a dark and murky murder mystery. Silenced is like that. I read the book prior to this one but you don't have to. The main character is the same but I couldn't really remember anything about the first one. That is the problem with reading so much and having my memory start to go already. This book follows a completely different mystery. The first one was a bit more twisted but this plot was more intricate.

I sort of have it figured out but not right away. The main character and I aren't really similar and she does some things that make me question her but I like her anyway. The writing is easy to get wrapped up in and the mystery kept me coming back for more.

Not that this is the most important but the covers of these two books are so nice! They look like good dark murder mysteries. 



I also felt that the plot was a little ridiculous so I was kind of worried when I started the book. It wasn't what I thought it would be. I was thinking terrorists the way it was headed and I find terrorism books kind of boring because there is no surprise in that. Oh the terrorist did it? Yeah, I got that when it started with the terrorist group...thanks. 


This book also kind of plays on this fear that people with money and connections can make anything happen. Anything. They want to close your email? Piece of cake. Cancel your flight back to your homeland? No big deal. Delete your identity? Already done. Wait, what?! They can do that?! Even to imagine that happening to someone makes me a bit uncomfortable and I love that fear. It isn't overdone and overloaded. That sense of a lack of security is enough. 

It was nice that the author didn't lose sight for where this was headed. Sometimes if the plot is overly complicated it doesn't seem plausible or there are too many side plots and I get distracted from the main plot or forget about it entirely. Then I come back and go "Oh yeah! That's what this book was about? Why?" Kristina Ohlsson did a great job mixing the plots together and not changing the characters from who they were in the first book. Changing personalities is another thing I have a problem with at times. Too much change and you might as well write a whole new book.

I can't wait for more by this author, must read more great murder books while I wait!

I give this one 4 stars. She is sold writer and I look forward to more from her.

No comments :

Post a Comment